The $23 million project including the John P. Murtha Center for Public Service and National Competitiveness was completed on the Johnstown campus of the University of Pittsburgh. The Murtha Center, a 7,400 square foot building, is one of three parts of the project. Renovations to the Engineering and Science Building and renovations to laboratories in Krebs Hall comprised the remaining project scope. At the groundbreaking for the new facility, University of Pittsburgh Johnstown President Jem Spectar commented, “Congressman Murtha was an American hero and legislative giant whose work has had a transformational impact on the Johnstown community, the region, and the nation.”
The Murtha Center highlights the vital role John P. Murtha, a Pitt-Johnstown alumnus, played in House leadership and in various legislative issues during his three-decade plus career. The Center aims to preserve and extend Murtha’s legacy and serves as a gateway between the University of Pittsburgh and the Johnstown region.
The facility includes a large multipurpose room suited for a wide range of events, an interactive gallery of the life of Congressman Murtha, a military veterans’ lounge, and offices for community outreach. A memorial garden celebrates the contributions of Mr. and Mrs. Murtha. The project’s design also meets LEED certification standards for sustainability. The late Congressman John P. Murtha believed that public service was the highest contribution a person can make in their lives; this Center serves as a charge to UPJ students, faculty, and visitors to carry on Murtha’s legacy through continued community involvement and advocacy.
Interested in building your own project?
Call us at (412) 281-1337